Friday, February 15, 2013

Final Project idea refined

After thinking it over for a bit I decided to stick with my original final project idea. The sci-fi western game I'm calling Project Nomad. I just have the most ideas running through my head when it comes to this idea, and it will still be fun to work on. I'll still do some personal work on the side for the internship portfolio.

For my goals I realized that the biggest one I have is to get back to a good work flow that fits me. Working on fundamentals (ie. composition, perspective, color, etc.) is still important to me; and I'll try to find a way I can incorporate these practices with my project. Third I think I want to fiddle with some of the story, and do some storyboards.

Since it looks like we have just 3 weeks to work on this project, I need to set a realistic goal for what I will produce. That way it won't kill me.

  • A couple character designs (2-3) w/turnarounds (Hero, Villain, Civilian?).
  • A couple creature designs because they are really the most fun to create.
  • Some Environment stuff
    • 1 exterior set w/perspective
    • 1 interior set w/perspective
    • OPTIONAL: 1-2 Landscape paintings w/color
  • Some vehicle designs w/textures (Amount doesn't matter, have fun and experiment).
  • Some weapon designs w/textures (Amount doesn't matter, have fun and experiment).
The Timeline. This is difficult because I often multitask and will jump between areas.
(Assuming) Week of
      • Feb 25  - Characters & Creatures
      • Mar 4   - Environments
      • Mar 11 - Vehicles & Weapons
      • Finals    - Document concepts for professional portfolio and presentation.
Research to be done. First I think I'll do some fun research and watch some western and post-apocalyptic stuff, for things like the story, sets, culture, and the mood. Second I'll do some costume and equipment research for the character stuff. I'll also study wildlife, the animals and plants for more realistic creature and environment design. Lastly I'll research real life weapons and vehicles to learn how they work, which will help me create fake but believable designs; if they look like they would work then job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment