Thursday, February 28, 2013

Character and Creature Design WIP

I'm a little behind right now because I've been busy with other class projects. But I've got a good start so far, I think. 

I did some research on desert wildlife and hunted down a lot of animal reference material for creature design. So I took a few animals and start playing with their designs, mixing some together or exaggerating proportion and scale.

I'm a lot more comfortable with creature design than human design for some reason, it might have to do with my not being afraid of messing with animal anatomy. With people I'm a little hesitant to push proportions and and gestures, which I really need to work on; I might do some really wacky characters just to get out of the uncomfortable zone. You can see it in my character silhouettes that the people look a lot more stiff than the creatures do.

Anyway before I get started on doing environments for the next step of my project I want to get a solid design for my main character and a villain. I also want to have a couple semi-rendered sketches for each of the creature silhouettes I did, and explore their designs more; sort of like what I have below for the nomad sketches.
Scaled to size

Silhouette designs for the nomad

Sketching the Nomad in a couple different designs. Trying to find a good solid design between them all

No comments:

Post a Comment