Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Capstone Proposal - Design Boot Camp

Design Boot Camp

My project is simple, to do a series of design workshops to produce a larger body of professional quality work for my portfolio.

For my Capstone project I will be doing individual studies for various aspects of entertainment design. I will be working from tutorials and books to strengthen my foundation in drawing and digital painting techniques. Areas of focus will be developing dynamic characters, mastering perspective, using color.
Techniques I will practice are visual storytelling, speedpainting, matte painting, portraiture, industrial design, anatomy, and Art Direction.
I chose not concentrate this project on a single idea like a game or film because I didn't want to restrict the range of my concepts. I want to produce a variety of genres and styles, I really want to use this project to experiment and improve my skills.

My products of study will include character sheets, creature sketches, colored renderings, digital matte paintings, interior and exterior environment scenes, key art illustrations, vehicle designs, robot and machinery, storyboards, and so on.
To be more precise I'll list specifics for each area.
Character: Silhouettes, Costumes, Portraits, Animated Poses, Detailed Sketches, Turnarounds
Creatures: Animal Anatomy, Single creature variations, Animated Poses
Environments: 1pt/2pt/3pt Perspective, Single location various shots, Interiors, Exteriors, Landscapes, Architecture, Lighting, Color Studies, Implementation of Life
Vehicles/Robots/Weapons: Designs drawn in perspective, Silhouettes, Presented in layout sheets, Textures
Storyboards: Script writing, Thumbnails, Animatics,
Key Art: Storytelling Illustrations fully rendered with color, Marketing Art, High Concept Illustrations

Some visual research of other artists:
Nicholas Kole
James Paick

Feng Zhu
Kekai Kotaki

Treatment Visuals (Personal Work):

I believe my strength lies in the "idea" stage of my designs; I have plenty of ideas to work on. My weakness would have to be a lack of polish to my art. I need to work on a solid work flow as well, developing concept art from abstraction to production. I also want to work on advance digital techniques that will speed up my process and help make the final products higher quality.

My goal is simple, to achieve a level of skill that will prepare me for the professional field. I want a body of work that will make potential clients want to hire me.

Timeline: (Tentative / Don't know the dates)
  • 1st critique - Foundations Complete
  • 2nd critique - Characters / Creatures
  • 3rd critique - Environments
  • 4th critique - Vehicles / Robots / Weapons
  • 5th critique - Storyboards
  • Final -  Illustrations and Key Art




No comments:

Post a Comment